JPL is a mixer who can really change a track. Turn it upside down, make a slow one fast, and a fast one slow. One of his latest remixes is Paul Hardcastle – 19.
The 1985 release of “19” brought Hardcastle acclaim and chart success. “19” was a dance record, featuring stuttering samples of television narrator Peter Thomas speaking about Vietnam war veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Initially unhappy about having his voice used in this way, Thomas later relented and allowed the single to be released. It was number one in thirteen countries, selling just under three million copies worldwide.
JPL made a remake/remix of this track using bits of Boz Scaggs and The Dazz Band.
Apart from the ’19’ track he also used:
- Froon – Bobby Mugabe (samples from the 12″)
- Boz Scaggs – Lowdown loop
- Michael Jackson – Smooth Criminal ‘pella
- Wild Cherry – Play that funky music
- Dazz Band – Let it all blow
- Ollie & Jerry- Aint no stopping us. (some beats)
- JPL also used soundbits from a vietnam doc he found on youtube because Peter Thomas’s stuff was not enough for him 😉
Go here: edits.nl click latest mix